The prevalence of diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in Sivas, Central Anatolia, Turkey
Üst veriTüm öğe kaydını göster
OBJECTIVE - The inn Of this study was to determine type 2 diabetes, impaired glucose tolerance (IGT), and impaired fasting glucose (IFG) prevalence in Sivas, Turkey. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS - This cross-sectional study was conducted in the city center of Sivas. The study population of 771 subjects was selected by the cluster sampling method From 115,998 individuals aged >= 30 years. Participants with fasting venous plasma glucose concentrations < 100 mg/dl were classified as "normal." Diabetes was diagnosed in participants if they had Fasting blood glucose levels >= 126 mg/dl. An oral glucose tolerance Lest (OGTT) was performed in subjects with fasting blood glucose levels >= 100 mg/dl and < 126 mg/dl. RESULTS - According to the fasting blood glucose levels of the 771 subjects, 44 (5.7%) had diabetes. OGTTs were performed in 80 (10.4%) subjects. According to OGTT results, there were 5 subjects With diabetes, 20 sub subjects With IGT (2.6%), and 55 subjects with IFG (7.1%). The combined prevalence of IFG and IGT was 9.7%. After OGTT, the total number of diabetic subjects was determined to be 49 (6.4%). Twenty-four (3.1%) of the subjects had a previous diagnosis of diabetes. Multivariate analyses showed that age, sex, hypertension, cigarette smoking, obesity, and family history of diabetes were risk Factors for type 2 diabetes (P < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS - Diabetes incidence increases With changes in dietary habits and lifestyle Education is particularly important for public health, as the community may then have required knowledge about the disease and its risk factors.